Friday, July 21, 2006

Perfecting the Front

Last night's training class was really about perfecting the front. Really teaching the dog what it means when you call FRONT! I felt the first time in my training, this was an exercise that I got right! I was taught at some point (by someone-sorry I don't remember!!!) to have the dog in heel position and back up and call front teaching the dog to do a 360 and walk into me. I taught the dog well by actually teaching it too close at first. Our instructor was commenting about how many people teach the dog to not come close enough and you need to be able to touch your dog (this isnt that easy with a 4lb maltese!)

Now to perfect my front, My trainer Kim had us do a new exercise that I liked a lot. I started by placing Dora in a wait, I take about 4 steps forward. I call front. Dora comes into the front. If the dog doesn't come in straight, correct this before they sit down! Also make sure to not move the left leg-you can move the right leg back a step to assist the dog but not the left. This exercise has worked really well and one I like!

Ideally we will continue working on this until we can do side steps and have dora scoot front too. Gotta get to the practing (2 weeks off, I forgot everything-luckily my partner remembered!)

No comments: